The Marzili is probably Bern’s most famous swimming pool. It is located on the banks of the Aare river in the Marzili neighbourhood, only 300 metres from the Parliament Building. There are several different pools – from a children’s pool to a diving pool and a 50-metre swimming pool – perfect for splashing around, cooling down and swimming. And the best thing about it: it’s free!
If you’d rather swim in the river, you can follow the path along the Aare from Marzili towards Eichholz, then jump in and let the current take you back. There are marked exits with red handrails. Please note: swimming in the Aare river is only suited for experienced swimmers and should not be underestimated. There is a supervised river pool at Marzili for less experienced swimmers.
The pool area includes large sunbathing lawns, a family area with a paddling pool for toddlers and a women-only area at the back, and a restaurant provides snacks, warm meals and refreshing drinks to hungry and thirsty visitors. And just across the street from the entrance, you’ll find the famous Gelateria di Berna with its delicious homemade ice cream creations.
What the Marzili has to offer:
- Swimming in the Aare river (unsupervised)
- 50-metre swimming pool with eight lanes
- Diving pool, 1-metre diving board, 3-metre diving tower
- Two 25-metre non-swimmer pools
- Paddling pool (protected from the sun) for little guests
- Bueberseeli” with a river canal
- Changing rooms, cloakroom and lockers
- Nudist area for women (the “Paradiesli” has its own changing room and a patio that is out of sight)
- About 10,000 square metres of lawn
- Beach volleyball court (upstream, underneath Monbijou bridge)
- Table tennis (balls and paddles can be borrowed)
The area is wheelchair accessible and there is a mobile pool lift for visitors with impaired mobility to get in and out of the pools.
No admission fee.
11 May to 22 September 2019
May and September 2019 Mon–Sun 8:30 a.m.–7:00* p.m. 1 June–11 August 2019 Mon–Sun 7:00 a.m.–9:00* p.m. (8:00* p.m. on 1 August) 12–31 August 2019 Mon–Sun 7:00 a.m.–8:00* p.m.
*Might close earlier if the weather is bad.
During the winter months, the park is open daily from 8:30 a.m.–6:00 p.m. It might close earlier depending on weather or twilight.
|Freibad Lorraine||18 64.4 °|
|Freibad Marzili||19 66.2 °|
|Freibad Weyermannshaus||18 64.4 °|
|Freibad Wyler||19 66.2 °|