House of Parliament

Construction on the Parliament Building (the west wing of today's Parliament Building) started in 1852. The east wing, mirroring the west wing, was added in 1884; and in 1902 the structure was extended into a building complex composed of three parts. All in all, 38 artists from throughout Switzerland are responsible for the building's decorations.

The Parliament Building is the seat of the Swiss government (Federal Council) and the parliament (National Council and Council of States). The building was completed in 1902. The central domed hall and both chambers feature numerous symbolic renderings of Swiss history.

The Parliament Square was inaugurated on July 31 and August 1, 2004 (Swiss National Day). The square now serves as a gathering place for young and old,  rather than providing parking spaces for cars as it used to. It also hosts the traditional weekly market.

Find more information about the Tours through te parliament House on www.parlament.ch

Tours are available in German, French, Italian or English.
Hotel reservation
Arrival
Nights
Persons

Emmental
Gantrisch
Laupen
Oberaargau